Transformer update

rayfri rayfri at NETWORLD.COM
Sat May 4 21:53:23 EDT 2002

Folks:
An update on my request for a transformer for my RS-20A.  Seems I might
not need one after all....  My gratitude to Ed, K1ZOK. and also to
everyone who
had comments and suggestions about my problem.  Ed may have my answer.
I'm including a part of his email to me in case this is also news to any
of you..

"Ah, the infamous MOV failure.  There is a round device soldered across
the primary connections, right on the terminals.  It's about 3/4 inches
in diameter and an 1/8 inch thick.  That is, if it's not blown up.  It's

used to stop incoming surges from damaging the rest of the circuitry,
and
it's a shorting device.  When the surge hits, it shorts and takes out
the
fuse.  It "resets" when the surge goes away, until it's had too much
then
it shorts permanently.  They're about a buck or so.  Get the one rated
at
150 volts. You can cut it out to see if the short is still there.  If
not, replace
the fuse, and turn on the supply.
Ed
K1ZOK"
     I had no experience or knowlege of MOV's despite 30 years as a
ham.  The device looks just like a disc capacitor and that's what I
thought when I first saw it so I didnt pay any more attention to it...
only to the black, burned spot on the primary side of the transformer.
Well, I found a small hole in the MOV, cut out the MOV, put in a new
fuse and turned on the power supply... NO SHORT!!!   Now to connect up
the regulator circuit to the bridge rectifier again and see what
happens, but checks on individual components showed no obviously bad
ones.....    Keeping my fingers crossed...
Ray  wa7itz