Kinda OT: Swan Mark I Linear expected output on 4-400A's in G-G?

JBA uoba at SATX.RR.COM
Sat May 18 23:34:04 EDT 2002

Bob,
I can only guess that you have a shack full of 4-400A's at your place, and
that you don't mind showing your age! Hi!
While it is perfectly ok ( used to be common practice) to tie the screen and
control grid of a 4-400 tetrode, what you end up with may be, but is not
necessarily, a zero-bias triode. I think your grid current may be a little
high and your 90 volt zero-signal anode-current is lower than I like. I like
to run the zero-signal anode-current between 160 and 200ma to ensure good
linearity. Any less than 160ma and you run the risk of not being a good
neighbor, and any more than 200 and the amp becomes too hard to drive. True
zero-bias tubes are designed from scratch to be so, and must be operated
according to their designer's specs to work well with zero bias. So a
high-mu triode cloned by strapping together the multiple grids of a
screen-grid Tetrode or Pentode tube may or may not be operated efficiently
as a zero-bias tube, depending on its control characteristics and of course
how you power the tube.----BUT---- the 4-400A and 4-1000A Tetrodes have
always seemed to work well in GG.
What I'm trying to say is that according to the numbers you supplied in your
posting, your pair of 4-400A's are doing just fine. If you had a way to
supply the plates with a pretty stiff 4KV, they would really get up and trot
to around the legal limit. I would investigate the higher than usual grid
current ( I do remember that these tubes ran high grid currents in GG ), and
try to get that zero-signal anode-current up to at least 160ma.
I'm still at a loss as to why you don't just drop a pair of 3-400Z or 3-500Z
in the amp? NOS 3-400Z can be had off Ebay for $25 to $50 apiece. Of course
the Chinese 3-500Z will usually run you a couple of hundred bucks a pair.
Either will give you around 1300 watts output in the Mark l.
All this info and a buck will still get you a cup of coffee in some parts of
the country.
Cheers!
 de Benton wb5twc