SB dial Drive

Robert Keeble hiddenhills at SURFMORE.NET
Mon May 27 17:18:30 EDT 2002

I experienced a similar problem that Ray is having on my SB-301 and could never improve the clutching action regardless of where I place the pulley in the up/down direction.

Closer inspection revealed that the two pulleys were slightly loose on the shaft which was degrading the "pinching" action that drives the dial.

I noticed that the pulleys were "peened" onto the end of the shaft and that appeared to be the only thing holding them tight together.

Although the pulleys are driven radially by flats on the shaft I could actually hold one pulley and move the other around slightly.

I was able to grip the shaft vertically in a bench vice using protective jaws with the pulleys facing up and re-peened the pulleys with a flat pin punch and small hammer. just a slight tap was all that was needed to pull the two pulley faces back together.

Need to use caution and not strike the end of the shaft any more than what is needed to spread the end of the shaft a bit.

Bob Keeble ,  KG4NVX