Spam...

Ed Kotkiewicz ekotkie at EZL.COM
Wed May 29 13:35:18 EDT 2002

There are really only four choices left to the user in dealing
with spam.

1. Switch OS's to something like Linux.  Not real sure if this is
a fix forever or just a temp. measure.

2. Ignore and use the delete key. NEVER respond to the
self-serving offer to remove your name within a piece of spam.

3. Go after spammers with a vengence.  This, of course takes a
little time and effort and may require that your ISP wants to play
the same game.  I happen to have a very helpful ISP that will
block/filter spam.  To date, they have blocked over 4000 domains.
This can get tricky if they become overzealous and block US domain
names/addresses.  My ISP currently blocks "earthlink" as they have
been non-responsive in tending to their own users.  If you learn
how to read the msg. header, you can sometimes track these jerks
down by notifying the routing ISP that they have an offender.
Most do NOT want spammers using their system.  I use a tool called
VisualRoute http://www.visualware.com/visualroute/index.html  I am
not an employee and only use the tool to id offenders. Another
tool is available at http://www.arin.net/ and can help a person
validate the IP address.  There is a new move by the spammers
being used called "spoofing"  Imagine your shock when you receive
spam and the sent by address turns out to be YOUR address that
someone has stolen..........neat, eh?

4. Last but not least...........quit using Internet.  A harsh
solution but effective.

Sorry for taking this off topic and I won't talk about it again
except off-list.  It is just a subject that I see a lot of
mis-information about.  As long as you communicate with friends
who are too lazy to "copy and paste" jokes and stuff and drop the
names off, you will get spam.  People who love to use the "fwd"
option will get spam.  Live with it folks.

Back to the "Green stuff"

Ed