lacing cable

Kevin J Ward kevin_ward at JUNO.COM
Fri Nov 15 08:55:52 EST 2002

Gerry -

I'm not sure there IS a right or wrong way to start and end the lacing of
wire bundles.  If the lacing begins near a handy nut/bolt fastening,
install a ground lug there.  Thread the lacing cord through the eye of
the lug, tie a knot, and proceed from that point.  I always used a Clove
Hitch to start.  (Consult an old Boy Scout Manual if you don't know that
one.)  Then, if I wasn't using a ground lug, I fished the free end UNDER
the hitch and tied a knot before proceeding.

The idea is to keep the starting end from creeping up on succeeding
loops, thus loosening the lacing.

If you are extending an existing lacing job, anchor your efforts to the
existing cord and proceed.  Anchoring the end of the lacing is just as
important as anchoring the beginning.  The ground lug arrangement works
well here, too.

There are also lugs made for holding down laced bundles.  They look like
an oversized exclamation point  -  -  nothing more than a flexible tab
about an inch long with a single-hole mounting at the end.  Install them
under a handy screw near the wire bundle, and wrap them around the laced
cable.  I think Waldom still makes them.

Good luck.

Kevin  N2IE