IP-27 Transistors

Bob & Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Thu Oct 3 00:25:28 EDT 2002

There might be one 'bug' in the ointment when switching silicon for
germanium - the Vbe's are quite different (roughly 0.3 v for germanium
vs. 0.7 v for silicon).  Depends on how hard they're driven, etc but
that is a rough order of approximation.  Point is that the base drive
may be a little anemic.  Not quite sure what the driving circuit is like
but you might have to do a little juggling around.  You can also have
problems with unmatched transistors, saturated transformers, etc.  I
have a few battle scars from struggles with exactly such conversions.
Certainly worth a try and it might work great.  Will be glad to help if
I can.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY