HR-1680 Regulator (External Pass Transistor ID)

Don Peterson Don at D8APRO.COM
Mon Oct 7 12:38:53 EDT 2002

Picked up a Heathkit HR-1680 Receiver over the weekend and I see that the regulator
is blown open.  It appears to be a Fairchild 78MGT2 with one of the heat sink
wings removed; also the external pass transistor is physically missing.  I don't
have the manual (yet) and downloaded a schematic from the U.K. Circuits web
site.  Their schematic doesn't show the external pass transistor and it seems
they have a 3-pin regulator not the adjustable 4-pin one.  My unit is not an
"A" or a "B".  Can anyone tell me what is the transistor that was used in this
version?  Can you also confirm that the regulator is indeed the 78MGT2?

Thanks

Don