Cantenna Resistors

Ed Mosher wa8zvo at JUNO.COM
Thu Oct 24 20:08:33 EDT 2002

Robert is right about the Cantenna ORIGINALLY using Transformer Oil,
which at the time had PCBs.  Current varieties of this type of oil are
free of that problem as far as I know.  Also, an alternate oil was good
old mineral oil, found in drug stores, etc.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 09:00:24 -0400 Robert Radmore <rradmore at WZRD.COM>
writes:
> The Globar resistors used in the Heathkit Cantenna were originally
> made by
> the Globar Division of Carborundum Co. This facility survives as
> Kanthal
> Globar, 3425 Hyde Park Blvd, Niagara Falls, NY 14302, 716/286-7601.
> Check
> out the resistors at
> http://www.globar.com/resistors.highvoltage.html
> Pricing unknown.
>
> As mentioned by others many of the Cantennas were filled with PCB
> oils
> which by todays standards are a no no. Even the disposal of the oil
> in the
> Cantenna becomes an environmental problem.
>
> 73 de Bob N2PWP
> Bob Radmore N2PWP
> rradmore at wzrd.com

> To post - HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV

                                     Ed Mosher, WA8ZVO at Juno.com
                                Formerly  "One Of The HAMS At HEATH"
                                            <><
<><
                        The most important things in our lives are NOT
things!