Cantenna Resistors

Randy Kaeding rkaeding at HEATHKIT.COM
Fri Oct 25 12:53:28 EDT 2002

Mineral oil is usable, but at reduced duty cycle. A label on the Cantenna
indicates the duty cycles for both transformer oil and mineral oil.

Also, be careful with the older transformer oil. I have heard of instances
where the oil has attacked the can and caused it to leak (this even happened
to one of our former ham engineers). I have not found this to be a problem
with either of my Cantennas. To be safe, just pop the top off the can an
look for discoloration around the bottom of the can.

Randy, K8TMK
"One of the Hams (still) at Heathkit"

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of CyberGeezer
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 11:18 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Cantenna Resistors

Further to my previous reply--  thought I'd pass on this
from elsewhere in the manual--

If transformer oil is not available, mineral oil may be
used, but DO NOT use any type of motor oil.  The
vaporizing temperature of motor oil is too low and would
cause excess vapor.

73 de W2GERry