Heath product with 120/240 slide switch instead of diff. wiring

Marshall mmdues at HAL-PC.ORG
Mon Sep 2 00:06:51 EDT 2002

Hello, Murray and Group,

The reason you don't see equipment switched for 120/240 volts is
two-fold:
        1. 120 volt line cord plugs are different from 240 volt plugs.
           Look at your toaster, and then your electric clothes dryer!

        2. If this switch was set for 240 volts and assuming you could
           plug it into 120 volts, the secondary voltage would only be
           one half of what it was when selected for 240 volts, BUT...
           if the switch was set for 120 volts and you were able to
           plug it into 240 volts, the secondary winding would be TWICE
           as much, and that would absolutely ruin your day.

Marshall M. Dues - WB5MYO
Katy, Texas