Heath product with 120/240 slide switch instead of diff. wiring

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Mon Sep 2 13:43:32 EDT 2002

On 1 Sep 2002 at 23:06, Marshall wrote:

> Hello, Murray and Group,
>
> The reason you don't see equipment switched for 120/240 volts is
> two-fold:
>         1. 120 volt line cord plugs are different from 240 volt plugs.
>            Look at your toaster, and then your electric clothes dryer!
>
>         2. If this switch was set for 240 volts and assuming you could
>            plug it into 120 volts, the secondary voltage would only be
>            one half of what it was when selected for 240 volts, BUT...
>            if the switch was set for 120 volts and you were able to
>            plug it into 240 volts, the secondary winding would be
>            TWICE as much, and that would absolutely ruin your day.
>
> Marshall M. Dues - WB5MYO
> Katy, Texas

Hmmmm... strange, but a LOT of gear is switchable for 1115 and 230 Volts. Many
power supplies, commercial, ham, medical etc.

I don't know about the older Heath gear because none is sitting on my bench at
present, but there is NO reason why they could not have made them switchable.