Heath product with 120/240 slide switch instead of diff. wiring

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 2 14:52:24 EDT 2002

110 was a great voltage for the old fool killer radios that had no
transformer, all the tube filaments being in series which would be a
lot harder on 240 volts.

But for most everything else it is a lousy voltage.  I assume this
voltage is a hangover from the old Edison DC system and that's why
there are so many different commercial / industrial voltage levels in
N America.

In Australia / New Zealand, all power is supplied from a 3 phase
system, 400 volts between phases, and 230 volts to neutral/ground.
Homes receive a single feed of 230 volts - one phase, and very rarely
might have 2 phases. We use no other voltages, except for truly large
motors in mills etc, which are usually supplied directly at 11,000
volts or above. I believe this is the European system also.

Lights do not dim when you switch other items on and off, as so often
happens here. A 10 amp outlet (usually the max) supplies up to 2300
watts. Electric driers use the regular outlet. Electric stoves are
still wired for 230 only, but via a heavier current connector.

Too bad the Tesla system arrived second or you might also have a
simple system!

Regards,

Neil