120/240 switch

Terry Perdue k8tp at ATTBI.COM
Mon Sep 2 15:52:02 EDT 2002

Hi Murray,

It doesn't seem like you're getting the answer you were looking for, and I
suspect you've figured it out by now anyway, but if not:

Assume that winding #1 is terminals 1&2, and winding #2 is terminals 3&4,
with terminals 1&3 being phased the same. Call the terminals on the switch
A-B-C and D-E-F, with B&E being the poles, A&D being the 120V 'throws' and
C&E being the 240V 'throws'.

Then connect as follows: A-2, D-3, B-4, E-1, C-F, and connect the line to
1&4.

Obviously, you'd select the appropriate line cord. This just eliminated the
need to rewire the instrument too. Heath wasn't the only one to do this.

Terry

--------------

Hello:

I have been randomly looking on the Heathkit circuit archive sites for any
product that shows a DPDT switch wired to select 120 or 240 primary. Many
simply showed alternate transformer primary wiring to be selected at time of
construction.

Some of the oscilloscopes have a triple wiring arrangement - 120/240 plus
low/normal  or normal/high line.

Can someone identify a product they know has a 120/240 switch-selectable
primary? I am trying to show someone how a switch is wired to effect this
feature.

Thanks

Murray