re Heathkit cantenna resistance

Darwin D. Geiselbrecht GeiselD at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 18 21:54:54 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/18/03 20:03:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
mgrandy at TELUS.NET writes:

<< I have three HN-31 Cantennas. Two measure about 76 ohms and the other
about 46 ohms. Measured with two good quality DVM's. Should the resistance be
50 ohms dc. Anyone know what I should see with ohm meter.
 Murray >>

Should be nominal 50 ohms.  Not exact science.  I would call 46 OK and just
note it for power calculations etc.  In my experience the higher values may
be associated with corrosion between resistor and mount.  I would take apart
and clean thoroughly.  That restored mine from about 75 ohm to nominal value.
Of course there is always the possibility excessive heat over the years may
have changed the resistor value.  While you have it out of mount, you can
measure directly.

Hope we don't get in another long thread about the dangers of PCB oils etc.
HI.  Assume you are using something benign for cooling fluid.  73 - Darwin
K5DOA