Question : Heathkit Signal generators - White panels and black case

Greg@Bowser.com Greg at BOWSER.COM
Sun Aug 24 12:35:22 EDT 2003

I also have a white panel and black cased IG-102 while most of them are
gray in color.  However, your SG-72 was a factory assembled IG-72. signal
generator and that was done when Schlumberger owned Heath.  That is denoted
by the "S" in the model number.  They sold a ton of test equipment to
schools and colleges who wasn't interested in buying kits back then.  And
during this time, the factory wired kits were often in black and white
cabinets.  In the older days, the factory assembled units had a "W" in the
model number to denote being a wired version.  Such items were the ARW-15
stereo, IGW-102 signal generator, IOW-12 scope etc.  However, I have seen
some wired units coming out of Canada that had the normal kit model number
but just had a metal tag on the rear of the item.  These models were the
same colors as the kits.  One way to tell if you have a factory assembled
or a kit is by looking at the chassis.  Lots of the factory assembled units
used rivets to mount the transformers, terminal strips, and tube sockets to
the chassis instead of screws.  Remember, if someone was willing to pay the
price, then you could just about buy anything from them already put
together whether it was normally sold that way or not.

If that doesn't add to the confusion, take a look at the kits that was
supplied to the home study schools.  Those kits often had their own model
numbers such as the IMD-1210, IGS-102, and the GRD-2001 TV set.  They were
the same kits as Heath sold but sometimes just had the name of the school
on it.  I remember that the "D" kits that were for Bell and Howell students
but I don't remember the name of the school that gave out the "S" models.

Hope that I didn't confuse you too much.
Greg
Grove City, Ohio
An ex-Heath store employee