Question : Heathkit Signal generators - White panels and black case

Fred Olsen fwolsen at EXECPC.COM
Sun Aug 24 12:12:20 EDT 2003

Bob And Bettina Groh wrote:
> ... a Heathkit  generator (an SG-72) which has
> a white panel and a black case which does not seem to the standard Heath
> colors.

Bob, that is indeed a standard Heath color scheme.  Around the time of
the transition from the '70s 'tan' scheme to the '80s 'blue' some of the
older models went to the white/black instead of white/blue.  No, I don't
know why.  ;<)  They aren't uncommon; I have a white/black IT-12 sig
tracer and have seen it also on the IM-5218 (which ALSO came with a blue
case!), the IG-5242, and others.  Usually one assumes that a "52" model
is in a blue case but that isn't always true.

As an "S"G-72 the unit was factory-built, and may even be marked
Heath/Schlumberger.  Electrically it's an ordinary IG-72.  The easiest
way to date it is to check the Julian dates on those components with
them, filter caps and so forth.  The unit would likely have been
produced within weeks after the highest date found.

Fred
--
<><