Chassis and Cabinet Repair

Kenneth Laine Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Thu Dec 25 12:56:01 EST 2003

JB WELD works wonders with just about any kind of ding or unwanted hole
in cabinets.  I have filled 1/2 inch holes in the grilled cabinet tops
on Heathkits, Hallis, etc.  You will have to repaint. Here is my
procedure.

Clean up the hole down to bare metal, and be sure you have smoothed any
ragged edges. Inside, place scotch tape or similar clear tape to cover
the hole on the inside. From the outside, carefully work in sufficient
JB WELD to overlap the hole edges and leave a bit of a crown on the top.
A crown on the bottom side is good too. Be sure that you have a crown on
the top side as the stuff starts to set. Placing a desk lamp down on the
JB WELD helps it to cure solidly. Once it is really well set - about 24
hours, peel off the inside tape, carefully sand both sides down to flush
with the metal to get a good paintable surface free of scratches. This
can be achieved by going through the grits as you sand down the crowns.
I was able to re-drill the screen grill holes in my patched cabinet
using an X-axto knife to start the holes in the JB, then drilling slowly
with a pinvise (a little hand drill).

These patches take paint well. I have also had some of these JB repaired
cabinets powder coated (see
http://www.w9wze.org/Restorations/PowderCoating/Powder_Coating_KA5ELD.htm
). Powder coating involves baking the finish at 400 F. The patched
powder coated cabinets came out flawless.

--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD (Extra Class)
 home: ketner at arisbeassociates.com