SB-200 Problem

Carlos Avellanet avellanet at COX.NET
Wed Feb 12 11:02:56 EST 2003

Hi gang,

  I just picked up a nice SB-200 at the Orlando hamfest.  I took it home and after rewiring from 220VAC to 120VAC I hooked it up to my FT-920 using the Ameritron ARB-704 interface and it worked beautifully the rest of the night.  Yesterday while listening, no transmit, to Southcars I heard a pop and the amp turned off.  Not being too familiar with it I disconnected it from the wall and did a quick visual and re-check my work on the power strip as per the manual.  I found nothing obviously wrong, no smoke, no charred parts.  Later I realized the front CB had popped--the one with the red wires.  I reset the breaker and turned power back on and stayed on for about a second and the breaker popped again.  I thought one of the tubes may have shorted out so I too them off and turned power on, same results.  I suspected not enough power from the outlet so I tried a power outlet in the garage and this time the outlet 15 amp breaker tripped as soon as I turned the amp on.  The amp CB did not pop. I am afraid of hooking it up again and making it worse.  The amp was initially plugged to an outlet connected to a 20 amp and I am assuming it should be sufficient, specially with the amp at idle.  Has anybody here experienced this problem with their SB-200?  Any help pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Carlos. KF4RRN