SB-200 Problem

Multi-Volti murray at MULTI-VOLTI.COM
Sat Feb 15 11:58:30 EST 2003

Bleeders do two things...they sort of improve the regulation at the expense
of dropping the unloaded B+ supply...a tradeoff...by having a fixed load it
keeps the B+ from swinging as wildly between no load and full load...now
only swings wildly from partial load to full load..I seem to recall a rule
of thumb to have about 10% of full load in the bleeders.

The second function is where the name 'bleeder resistor' comes from...it
(they) 'bleed' off the charge after the ac is turned off.

It should be obvious that removing them makes the amp less safe when you
have the cover removed.

But wait!  I just remembered...they are not just bleeder resistors. They are
also equalizing resistors! If you have a  series string of electrolytic caps
with a wide tolerance, the voltage will divide in proportion to the
capacitance...if one is +20% and one is -20%, there will be a significant
difference in voltage across the higher capacitance, possibly overstressing
the cap.

SO, you do want equal value equalizing resistors that happen to also serve
as bleeder resistors across series capacitor strings.
Don't sweepingly dismiss their use in analogy with equalizing resistors that
people used to use in high voltage rectifier strings...back when solid state
diodes were kind of crappy and each one batch have inconsistent PIV rating.

Another thought ... if you had caps that were essentially shorted, the
remaining caps had to withstand the additional voltage.
For best longevity, of the amp and operator, I'd replace the full set of
caps and resistors...do it once, do it right, and you'll save money in the
long run.

I don't know if you can get wirewound resistors that high in value, but they
would be more stable if selected carefully for power rating. I just heard a
figure of thumb to not exceed 40% of their power rating for high reliability
(this is all relative).

Murray