Electrolytic capacitors for HO-10/SB-610

Gerald C. Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Wed Jan 8 11:05:12 EST 2003

I know keeping junker or parts units has a lot of merit. Those of us who
are not old timers will have to be creative when it comes to finding
alternate sources of high voltage capacitors. A quick look at the Mouser
catalog shows a few components which might be of use, provided they fit.
For example on page 358 are polyester film capacitors rated up to 1kv. You
could use a couple of those in series. Page 364 shows the famous Orange
Drop capacitor line with some rated up to 1.6kv. You won't find the exact
value needed but you can either series or parallel capacitors of the same
value and get what you need. If you can fit them in the space available in
the scope, you will no doubt get better long lasting results than those
black beauty capacitors used by Heath and a host of others. It seems that
I've seen a number of the old HO and SB series scopes with HV capacitor
problems as well as open power transformers probably due to the caps
shorting to ground.