Electrolytic capacitors for HO-10/SB-610

Gerald C. Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Thu Jan 9 09:22:19 EST 2003

That sounds reasonable. The black beauties, as was mentioned earlier have
notoriously poor reliability and having a higher voltage than the
component rating will certainly shorten component life. If the HV is too
high it might be a good idea to add a large value resistor in series with
the load. CRT's require very little current to operate. I haven't looked
at the specs (I'm at work) but it should be possible to do this.
Alternately a series resistor with the HV winding lead going to the
rectifiers would protect the HV winding should there be a short to ground.
I have a substitute transformer in one of my sb-610's which supplies 1.2kv
and it works fine. The high voltage secondary had developed a leakage path
somewhere and caused noise to appear in the receiver. The noise varied in
frequency with the sweep control setting. I've been too lazy to revisit
the power supply and replace the black beauties. I'll have to do that
someday. In the meantime I have a Tektronix 2336 scope which I obtained
for a very good price for monitoring both receive and transmit RF. All I
needed was a small pick up loop inside my antenna switch to look at RF
output. However, there is nothing like the old Heathkit SB twins, SB-600
speaker, and SB-610 to provide eye candy for the technically inclined.
Except maybe for a swim suit calendar.