Poptronics, RIP.

Gerald C. Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Sat Jan 11 13:19:39 EST 2003

Here is some disturbing news about Poptronics, the remains of what was once
Popular Electronics. This was a great magazine to read back when I started
in Electronics in the early 60's. I remember some of those reviews they did
on Heathkits. I guess "review" was a misnomer as they were in reality puff
pieces but no matter. It certainly got me to think of what I would do if I
had the money. Answer: BUY THAT HEATHKIT!

******************

As you may or may not know, Gernsback Publishing and "Poptronics" magazine
ceased to exist as of mid-December. We columnists weren't any more aware of
what was going on than were our readers.  We all had our February and March
2003 columns submitted and work working on our April 2003 columns when we
heard the news.  In my case, I heard about it on the "Nuts and Volts" forum,
of all places!

If you subscribed to "Poptronics", I don't have any good news for you.  Your
remaining subscriptions may be gone with no refund, as Gernsback "has no
money" as Larry Steckler told me.  However, they are trying to work out a
deal where "Nuts and Volts" magazine here in the U.S. and/or "Everyday
Practical Electronics" in the U.K. will finish out the "Poptronics"
subscriptions with the hope that subscribers will renew their subscriptions
to those magazines respectively.

Sincerely,

Dean Huster,
Contributing Editor, emeritus, "Q & A", the former "Poptronics" magazine
(formerly "Popular Electronics" and
"Electronics Now" magazines, which were formerly anything including
"Hands-On Electronics", "Radio-Electronics",
"Computers and Electronics", etc.)

R.I.P.