Poptronics

Eddy Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Sun Jan 12 18:38:46 EST 2003

Hi Dom & all,

My feelings about the closure of Popular Electronics are rather
bittersweet...

Back in 1969 I was in the 11th grade & had just acquired my first SW
receiver---a subscription to Pop'Tronics fit right in with that new exciting
world. I still have my original VE3PE2RT SWL "callsign" framed & on my
wall...

Then, a funny thing happened: after the first year's subscription expired, I
of course renewed for year two. I received about 2 copies, when all of a
sudden the mags stopped coming. To a highschool kid with limited funds, this
was tantamount to tragedy!

Repeated letters to the circulation department got me a third issue of the
12 that I had paid for, but no others were ever forthcoming, & I never did
hear anything back from them either, despited repeated letters from me.

I heard from somewhere at the time that the magazine was "scaling back"
("downsizing" its circulation base, in to-day's terms, I guess), & that my
subscription was one of those arbitrarily chopped...

True, or not, I certainly was not endeared to the Ziff-Davis empire, or the
"new" Popular Electronics, after that...

I wonder if the same thing befell others in that 1970 era...?

BTW, the issues from the 50's & 60's still make for great reading, IMHO!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ