There are high voltages and then there are HIGH voltages

Joe & Jean Price kd5wj at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Jan 18 00:30:15 EST 2003

> Hi Y'all.
> All the talk about safety around electrical equipment is valid and all the
suggestions should be followed by anyone working around ANY kind of
electrical equipment.

> I began working around Electricity in junior high school, then Boy Scouts,
then as a Radioman in the Navy, and on into amateur radio.  I have been
shocked both accidentally and on purpose many times - but never by any HIGH
voltages - until I had, over a period of a couple of years, three
cardio-versions.  Two were under anesthetic so I learned nothing from them -
but the last one I had was while just returning to consciousness and the
doctor, when I told him about it later, was flabbergasted.  It was like the
feeling you have sometimes when you are just going to sleep and your brain
serves you with big overall JERK.  But, with the cardio-version I detected
something of an "electrical component" along with the big jerk.  All this
was due to heart arrhythmia - the shock returns it back to normal sinus
beating.  Where the contacts are placed on the skin in front of and behind
the heart - the voltage is high enough that it will blister a little - not
bad but it itches for a few days.

> Now I have an ICD - Implantable Cardiac (Pacer) Defibrillator) in the
upper left side of my chest, connected by a few wires to my heart.  It is
barely noticeable.  But, if my heart starts beating a bit too fast it
electrically feeds pulses to the heart at the proper number of beats per
minute - I don't even notice this when it does happen,  However, if the
heart goes into fibrillation (that's a really fast beat, say 200 to 320 a
minute, the ICD will issue a BIG SHOCK to stop  the fibrillation.  I would
definitely notice that.

> So, I felt I should report that ALL shocks are not bad for you - your life
may depend on getting the right kind.  Fortunately, most everyone will not
need the right kind, and with care and attention to what is being done
around ANY electricity may never run into the bad kind.

> So, WATCH WHAT YOU'RE DOING and if you are ever shaking hands with me and
I get a sudden big-eyed expression LET GO of the hand but it might already
be too late.