Need Power Cable for SB303

rayfri rayfri at NETWORLD.COM
Sat Jan 18 19:07:43 EST 2003

IL've tried the various sources for power cords that people have suggested on
here
in the past for the 303, 300, 400 series...  tv cheater cords, certain adding
machine
or coffee maker cords, etc...   not of the spacings have been just right.
Might I offer a solution to the power plug problem that I came up with?  It
works because I used it on my sb 303... and the best part is that if you ever
want to restore it to original because a cord is found, you can do so in minutes
without anyone ever being able to tell it was modified in the first place  (for
the purists in the group).
     Here is what I did...    Find an old mobile CB radio... the type that has
the three pronged power socket on the back... two of the pins are close
together... the third offset a little bit...
     Open your sb 303...  remove the existing power socket...  it's just undoing
a couple nuts and bolts is all.   Then take the power socket you removed from
the CB radio and mount it in place on the sb 303.  Mine fit right in and the
screws and bolts went in without any enlarging of the holes or anything like
that.
     The sb 303 power wires solder to the pins of the new socket.   Dont use the
center pin...   one of the 303 wires goes to one side... the other to the other
side.
It's the same way in cb radios.  the center pin isnt used... its mainly there to
keep the plug from being put into the socket backwards....
     Get a lenth of 115 volt power cord with a plug on the end....  I cut the
socket end off an old extension cord.   Solder the bare wires from the end you
cut off into the
power plug that went into the CB radio socket.  The plug I used opened up by
unscrewing a tiny screw in the center...    solder the 115 cord to the pins in
the plug
and reassemble.      VIOLA....... youre done.
    An alternative, if you cant open the plug... is to splice the 115 power cord
to the
wires coming out of the plug.
    As I said... when it comes time (if ever) to restore my 303 to
originality....
I just remove the CB socket... remount and resolder in the original Heath socket

and no one will ever be able to tell a switcheroo had been made for a while.
Ray  WA7ITZ