HP-23A

Marten T Beels martentb at GOSHEN.EDU
Sat Jul 26 15:17:36 EDT 2003

Hello all, after sitting in 'lurk' mode for quite some time, I've got a
question that I hope you guys can help me with.

I have a HW-101 and HP-23A powersupply that I used several years ago. It sat
for a while and I recently I went to turn it on.  On powerup, it tripped the
circuit breaker in the powersupply.  After resetting it, it appeared to work,
but with only 5 watts on TX.  I decided to do a thorough inspection, starting
with the powersupply.  After replacing the original electorlytic capacitors, I
get no voltage from the output connectors.  It passes the initial resistance
check in the manual.  I reassembled it following the original Heathkit manual.

I can trace the 120 VAC input past the breaker to the switch, and that is where
I get confused.  Looking at the schematic, it appears that only one side of the
primary winding on the transformer is connected to one side of the 120VAC in.
The other side of the primary winding goes to pin 9 on the output connector and
the otherside of the 120VAC goes to pin 10 on the connector.  How does the
primary get input that way?

Can anyone help me clear my confusion so I can figure out where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Marten