Manuals

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 27 15:14:52 EDT 2003

The actual Heathkit model or part number consisted of 11 digits.  The last two
were never published...only used internally.  The 8th & 9th digits were
"usually" revision levels to the model or part...but not necessarily always
(for part purposes).  The first three numbers or letters were a model or part
type....these are pretty widely known...I.E., 'SB ', 'HW ' or 001 for say a
resistor.  The middle four digits were not necessarily significant as far as
date is concerned...it would be a coincident if they matched.  They were more
random, in regards of manuals, for instance.  I am 'sort of surprised' that a
SB-102 manual would take on another part number...was 1056, now 1058 as is
stated here...but not totally unusual.  A '11'th revision is certainly not out
of possibility, nor would a '16'th revision be.  The 11 digit model/part number
held true and was created especially for the business and engineering computer
systems which went in the 60's....and held throughout the Zenith days (post
79)...though Zenith tried to change it, but ran into difficulty as the computer
systems in place would not support the Zenith numbering.

73, Larry  KC8JX

--- Tracy Walters N1RKT <kg4smn at DTCCOM.NET> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> One additioon to this I believe is the second set of numbers ie. 595-1056
> would be the date of printing 10 month of 1956, this is the way all of
> there part numbers works as far as I know.
>
> '73 Tracy
>
> At 07:28 PM 7/26/2003 -0700, The Heathkit Junkie wrote:
> >To the fellows of Green:
> >
> >There were many revisions of manuals all over the place.
> >
> >How to tell them is the dash after the number of the manual.
> >
> >For example, the SB-102 manual is 595-1056. That was the first printing.
> >I have one SB-102 manual which has 595-1058-11 or the 11th revision of
> >the manual.
> >
> >I do remember one manual had a 16th revision, but I can not remember what
> >it was.
> >
> >Get the highest number you can find!!
> >
> >    (o)  (o)
> >00ooo---ooo00
> >      ~~~~~~
> >73 - BILL - WØQNI
> >"THE HEATHKIT JUNKIE"

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com