Why good resistors go bad

Domenic M. Mallozzi DMallozzi at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 22 12:09:38 EDT 2003

Kevin comments and sitation is excellent.

As I remember the mil-spec there is a aging rate specified for 1% resistors.
So after time even a 1% resistor could be out of tolerance.

Another important point in precision applications is temperature coefficent.
I can't remember the MIL SPEC method of specifying temperature coefficient but
Dale Resistor used to have grades of 1 % resistors. T-0 being the best and
going out to t-9 as I remember.

When making a voltage didider such as 1000:1 remember that one of the
resistors may be dissipating more heat than the other resulting in temperature
coefficent errors showing slightly different than 1000:1.

If anyone needs more detail, please e-mail me direct and I'll pull it out.

73's and keep those soldering irons warm,

Dom
N1DM