SB110 Question to Owners - Reply

Mark V. Johnson mvjohn at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Jun 23 21:19:09 EDT 2003

Hello Heath Team;
Many thanks to the Gentlemen who took the time to reply to my original
note looking for ways to ID an SB110 and SB110A.

Varying opinions on the subject and thats the fun of working with the
Team here on the reflector!

I contend my 110 is a true 110 despite the fact that V9 is mounted on
the Carrier Gen Board.  First is the Blue ID label that has "SB110 531
7160A". If  Im correct, the "531" means 1965 production, 31st week.

Second, there is no physical room on the chassis to mount a tube (v9)as
the Crystal Filter on my rig, is the OLD style similiar to the ones
found in the SB-300 and is physically bigger than the newer style filters.

Third, I can't grasp why Heath would make  the Carrier Gen Board  with a
blank space  where V9 would go and mount V9 on the chassis. Why make the
board bigger than it needs to be if its not needed then move V9 to the
board on the later version SB110A. I feel it was the other way around.
V9 started out on the PC baord, there were problems so it was moved to
the chassis hence leaving a space on the board.

Fourth, The het crystals on mine are mounted in a row of 4 as opposed to
what I think was the SB110A practice of mounting them  as 2 rows of 2
with a cover plate.

Again team, not an earth shattering issue...just curious and I'd like to
get it straight for my own amusement. For those equally obsessed, I can
send a picture of my unit. Thanks again for the notes and opinions so
far and for theBandwidth!!!

MV Johnson VE3DJU/VE3DDI