RX tubes in HW-101

Marten T Beels martentb at GOSHEN.EDU
Tue Jun 24 00:26:05 EDT 2003

Hello all, this is my first post to the list, so I guess it will do double duty
as an introduction.  I have been using a HW-101 as my first HF transciever
since 1999 and only recently began having trouble with it.  First off, I think
that I blew the finals, only 5 watts RF out.  But that is easy enough to
replace.  The hard part is deciding 6146, 6146A, 6146B, 6146W, or 6293.  But
there is a lot of discussion in the archives that I can look through.

My main question is this: V10 and V11 are listed as being 6HS6 tubes, and
looking through the archives, there is much discussion of replacing them with
6AU6 tubes.  However, I found 6EV5 tubes installed.  Furthermore, pin 6 has
been cutoff from each tube.

I wonder if my HW-101 has been modified to use the 6EV5 tubes or is it a direct
replacement?  (sans removing a pin)  How similar are the 6EV5 and 6HS6 tubes?

Marten