Heahkit SB-1000

] Jean Turner-AE6CN jat355 at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 7 00:39:44 EST 2003

I just bought a SB-1000 off Ebay and it does not work properly. I have a
manual but no schematic. Where can I get a copy of the schematic? The
problem with the amp is that it shows negative grid current and it also
shows 80 mils of plate current as soon as it is powered up before it is
keyed on. Then when you key it on with no drive from the exciter, the plate
current meter changes from the positive 80 mil reading to a negative
reading and power supply buzzes a little. However the plate voltage remains
at the normal 2900 VDC thru all of this and there is no indication of any
RF output on the RF Output meter. The manual says that the plate current
should be 0 (zero) when you turn Operate swith on and then rise to 80
milamperes when you key the amp. I tried another 3-500G which came with the
amp, but it acted the same with either the old Eimac 3-500Z or the 3-500G
which apparently is made in China? Can anyone offer any clues as to what
may be wrong with the amp? Thanks for any help you may offer.