HW-8 basket case working! 80M anamoly though...

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Tue May 13 23:29:28 EDT 2003

After much loving care and hard work, my basket case HW-8 has sprung to life!
(it's alive, it's alive!).  The final and driver transistors were bad, along
with a replaced front end transistor that was incorrectly installed (package
pinout was different).  Also got an OEP replacement VFO cap to complete the
restoration.

Check this out.  I took the front panel to home depot and had them match the
dark green of the panel which needs touching up.  Latex flat and the color
matches nicely.  We shall see if latex flat touch-up with a matte clear
overcoat will work and look good.  If you need some, send me a testors bottle
or equivalent with return postage and I will send you some!

Now, here is my 80M anomoly:

I tried a number of JFET's I had for the front end, and the MPF-102 seemed to
be the hottest.  I also had a hard time getting the 80M het xtal to
oscillate.  After a bunch of resoldered connections it came to life (nothing
else seemed wrong so I tried soldering some of the connections around the het
osc and xtals).  The issue is that on 80M, maybe 40M a tiny bit, it sounds
like there are a million carriers and as you sweep the VFO you hear one after
another (and I mean a lot) carrier come and go like the band was filled with
them.  I am wondering if the MPF-102 has too much gain and is oscillating.
Anyway, I will poke around with the scope some more, but has anyone else
experienced this problem?  Mike Bryce?  Thanks for any sugestions as to what
to look for.

P.S.  Anyone have an old CB final transistor (5W, ECG/NTE 488) they would be
willing to part with?  I know I could order something from Mouser or
whomever, but for one transistor?  There must be a million old CB's laying
around (but not in my junkbox!)  I want to pump up the power a little.  Why
you ask?  After all it is a QRP rig, save the battery!  Well, does an ex
mechanic leave his car stock?  Heck no!  The transistor from my junk box does
okay (2N3866), 1.9W on 80, 1.2W on 40M and around 1W on 15M and 10M, but
would like to try some "boots".

73,

Bob, WA2T