HW -8, Dial Illumination

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Thu May 22 12:37:57 EDT 2003

Noel,

I have come up with my own way to illuminate both the meter and dial of the
HW-8.  I got a package of two tiny bulbs that are about .125" in diameter from
Radio Shack.  To mount one in the HW-8, remove the front panel and drill a
125" hole in the chassis panel halfway between the meter and the edge of the dial
scale close to the top of the panel (I favored the dial but in retrospect
should have gone with halfway).  Then I simply brought up 12V from the on-off
switch lug, dropped the voltage a little with a ~50? ohm resistor to lower the
current and brightness (these are 60 mA bulbs) and connected to ground.  You can
fasten the bulb with a dab of RTV, I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Anyway, the result is nice and adequate illumination of both the meter and dial with
one tiny little bulb.  If you can forgive one hole drilled in the chassis
panel it is a nice little mod.  There are smaller bulbs that you might glue
between the panels avoiding having to drill altogether, but I didn't have one
handy!

73,

Bob, WA2T