OT: Weird Kenwood Receiver KR-6030 relay problem

Peter A Markavage pmarkavage at JUNO.COM
Tue May 27 12:01:03 EDT 2003

Sounds like your printed wiring board and/or some of the timing
components are absorbing some moisture under humid conditions. Moisture
on the components or printed board, or on close spaced printed wiring
paths that are part of the timing circuitry, will add additional
resistance to the timing circuitry which will throw off the RC timing
constants. While not a sure cure every time, I've had success doing this:
On a dry day, or after you've blow-dried the board to bring the RC timing
back to "spec", stray the timing area with several coats of Krylon Clear
spray. There are other types of board sealers out there that will also be
acceptable, but this seems to work in most cases. Keep the stray
confined; try not to get it on the relay terminals or any moving parts.
Spray both the top and the bottom sides on the board in the area of the
RC/relay timing.
Pete, WA2CWA