SB-104A

Joe Cro N3IBX Yardleyite at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 24 19:09:16 EST 2003

Greetings All,
                   I own two beautiful SB-104A's, one SB-104 with all of the
accesories for the -104/Line and a SB-303. I've had minor trouble with one of
the 104A's but nothing out of the ordinary.

One has to keep in perspective that when the SB-104 was introduced (about
1974 I believe) it was truly revolutionary. It was all solid state and had a true
digital readout, a noiseblanker, and a good 500hz CW filter as an option. It
was truly state of the art for it's day. It was also not a cheap rig to buy at
the time. There were many other tube and hybrid rigs that one could have
purchased already assembled for a lot less money. You really had to want one to
own one.

Yes, the receivers have some PLL noise and birdies but overall I think the
SB-104/SB-104A and their accessories were one of the most handsome Heathkits
ever produced. I love to look at the ones I have and love to operate them even
more.

It will always be a controversial rig and because of that a clean working one
will always command a good price. I doubt you'll find one in good condition
for $100 anymore.

Yes, I've owned a few that were complete nightmares; but I've also owned
others thjat were just as bad.

Just my two cents worth........
                                           Mod-U-Later,
                                                             Joe Cro N3IBX