Heathkit 6 meter transceivers

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 26 00:23:18 EST 2003

Heath also made the "famous" (or is it "infamous")
HW-29 and HW-29A "Sixer" for AM.  But, for SSB the
only Heath equipment was the HX-30 and SB-110 /
SB-110A.  They also made the VHF-1 "Seneca" that used
"controlled carrier" for AM and was a real "canary"
("chirped" to high heaven) on CW.  The VFO was "OK"
for AM, but not for CW.  I modified my Seneca to use
an external VXO and it keys without any chirp at all
on 2 meters.  In fact, I have a varactor tripler to
use it on 432 MHz CW and it keys "clean" even on 432
MHz.

There is still some AM activity on 50.400 MHz which
has been the 6 meter AM calling frequency since at
least the mid-1950s.  I know that during band openings
that there is usually some activity around 50.400 MHz.

Glen, K9STH

--- "Marshall M. Dues" <mmdues at hal-pc.org> wrote:
> Heath also made the HW-10 "Shawnee" 6 meter
> transceiver in  around 1961 or so.
> This model was an 8 watt AM / 10 watt CW transmitter
> that was both VFO and
> crystal controlled, and a separate variable tuned
> receiver on one chassis that
> shared the audio section and a 3-way 6/12 volt DC
> and 117 volt AC power supply.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites