HW-202 Receiver Crystal Nettng

Stephen Finch stevef88 at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Sep 19 15:36:40 EDT 2003

I have a HW-202 that is great condition except I cannot net the receiver
crystals to the correct frequency.  When I adjust the coils L101 through
L106, none of the associated frequencies change as measured on G2 of
Q102.  I am using a frequency counter.  The frequency on G2 is 10.7 mhz
less than the operating frequency.  For example, if the receive
frequency is 146.67 mhz, then the frequency on G2 should be 135.97 mhz.

Some additional facts:
1.  I'm sure I am moving the correct coil when I am measuring the frequency.
2.  None of the crystals can be netted as moving any of the associated
coils does not change the frequency as measured at G2 of Q102.  All
crystals measure in the 135 mhz range indicating the multiplier
circuitry is working fine.
3.  The rest of the receiver functions normally and I can align
everything except the receive crystal frequency.
4. With the receive frequency correct, the receiver is very natural
sounding, with no distortion.  One frequency is 1 khz high and the audio
is quite distorted and the meter goes down on voice peaks.
5.  Transmitter is excellent, putting out 10 watts or more  from 145.05
to 147.825.

Any suggestions as to why the frequency will not change as I move the
slug up and down inside the coil.

--
Stephen C. Finch

28289 Fireweed Drive