[Heathkit] Heathkit Manuals

manualman at JUNO.COM manualman at JUNO.COM
Sat Sep 20 02:50:54 EDT 2003

Probably the same reason they didn't bind the "Illustration Booklet" into
the manual. Having a manual with all the same size sheets, and not having
any foldouts, lowers the cost of printing and collating the manual and it
can be done all in one shot. The "old way" requires a foldout to be
printed, folded and cut (or vice versa), and inserted. This step adds
cost to the manual plus it sometimes complicates manual page changes
later. The easier way is to pull all the major pictorials out and print
and fold them in a vehicle called the "Illustration Booklet". Some have
the schematic in the booklet but, on large schematics for some of the
test, audio, and ham equipment, they were printed, folded, and inserted
as a separate item. And then there are the models that have separate
operating and assembly manuals and/or a service manual; but that's
another story.

Pete, wa2cwa
www.manualman.com