SB-301 and SB-610 question

Mark Graalman WB8JKR wb8jkr at JUNO.COM
Mon Sep 22 05:23:24 EDT 2003

  I have a friend who has a SB-301 receiver and uses the SB-610
monitor scope with it. His complaint is the apparent lack of deflection
on the 610 with signals of "typical" signal levels. It seems in order to
get good deflection on the 610 he needs to have the AGC on the 301
turned off. He's measured the input signal level verses deflection
sensitivity of the 610 and its pretty close to Heath's specs of
500mv/inch
deflection at 3395 KHz. I've had his SB-301 here and I'm convinced his
301
is working to spec.
He has used low capacitance cable between the 301 and the 610, he has
used the recommended size of coupling capacitor in the 301 AND has tried
increasing it as well. The I.F. strip tuning was checked after
installation etc.
 The 610 has the correct setup in place for use with the 3395 I.F. and
its alignment has been checked.
 Our question is, is it normal for this scope/receiver combination? It
seems
like complaints of low scope deflection would have been heard before if
this were
the case but nothing is found in the list archives. Anyone who has used
or is using
a 301/610 setup, what kind of deflection/signal verses signal strength
performance
do you get?