Would you part w/ an unbuilt kit?

Kevin J Ward kevin_ward at JUNO.COM
Wed Sep 24 19:07:59 EDT 2003

Paul -

I think you're going to get a lot of urging not to buy and build an
original, unbuilt Heathkit.  They seem to be unreasonably valuable,
as-is, unbuilt.  Here's an idea that could give your Dad the pleasure of
assembling a Heathkit again without spending the long buck.

Find an already built, working or nonworking, cosmetically acceptable
unit.  It probably needs new resistors and new electrolytic and paper
capacitors anyway to make it work properly.  Purchase new, modern
replacement parts to replace the out-of-spec parts.  You will also want
an original manual, complete with the assembly and alignment
instructions.  If you don't already have one, buy a solder sucker and a
decent 25-watt soldering iron.  Now the fun part.

Take the Heathkit apart!  I'm serious.  Be very careful and use the right
tools.  If parts that won't need to be replaced have extra lead length,
clip them close to the tube socket or terminal strip they are soldered
to.  It will be easier to remove that little stub of a lead when you have
the parts on the bench.  Clean the cabinet, panel, and chassis, being
careful not to damage lettering or silk screening.  Plastic dial and
meter faces can be polished with jeweler's rouge or another commercial
product.  Check some of the other lists for more on this thread.  I think
I saw this on the Hallicrafters site, but I'm not certain.  In some cases
you will want to purchase new hardware.

Now get creative.  Package the whole shebang in a manner similar to the
way Heath did it.  Enclose the manual and a note or a letter, explaining
what you have done.  Don't try to pass it off as a new kit; that won't
fly.  In fact, I bet your Dad will appreciate your effort all the more,
and will be every bit as pleased as he would be with a new kit.  I think
you'll get just as much fun out of it, too.

Let me know what you think.

73,
Kevin  N2IE