HW-16 and HG-10B problem

Thomas Beltran tbeltran at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Apr 22 10:32:15 EDT 2004

I was wondering if anyone out there has every had this problem? Wondering if
this is a common thing?  I had a HW-16 and a HG-10B when I first got my
license in 1972 and I don't recall this kind of thing happening then. But I
could be wrong.

Lynn, I have never had that problem.

BTW, I got my first set in 1971, and the only problem was the audio output
was insufficient to drive a speaker on 15 meters.  When I upgraded to
general, I got an HG-10B and everything worked fine, except the low audio.
I even took it down to the Heath service center, in Woodland Hills, CA and
they couldn't figure it out.  I ended up using an RF preamp, which brought
the output to a nice listening level.  Interestingly, like you, I bought
another one several years ago, and it works perfectly - much better than I
remember my first one working.  My guess is that there was either something
wrong, or, more likely, my current antenna is just so much better (then, a
40 meter dipole on the third harmonic; now, a beam at 54 feet).  Tom W6EIJ