Minimum Test Bench Equipment

Roger Hensley hensley6 at LOCALNET.COM
Tue Apr 27 09:21:18 EDT 2004

---- Original Message -----
From: "joe" <w0tut at COMCAST.NET>
> The shoreside techs that worked on the various SSB, CW hf gear and
> radars onboard merchant ships  would usually come aboard with just a
> Simpson Model 260 VOM and could usually find the problem without
> any other test equipment.

While in the Navy in the 60s, we had a merchant oiler tied up beside us. The
Captain asked for help with their radar. It was out and they would have to
transverse the Med and Atlantic without radar unless it could be fixed.
Their radioman checked by tube substitution and no test equipment. Two of us
went over with the Navy equivalent of the Simpson 260 and a tube tester.
Three hours and 4 tubes later, we and the Captain were watching a well
performing radar. He said that it was the best he had ever seen.

Bottom line? It do take more than a screwdriver. :-)

Roger Hensley  kc9eji

== Central Indiana Division, NMRA -- http://cid.railfan.net ==
== Railroads of Madison County - http://madisonrails.railfan.net ==