Heathkit scope comment

Malcolm Leonard radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Aug 27 17:59:03 EDT 2004

Tek scopes,like Simpson VOM's and Hickok tube testers are sacred things to many electronics people.
So ,I did not expect my recent defense of Heath scopes to prove anything or alter anyone's way of thinking.

But I think that in our enthusiasm for test gear we sometimes lose sight of exactly what is really needed to do a particular job as opposed to what is cool,sexy or ego boosting.

I would like to encourage all newbies to the electronics hobby(if they are into vintage tubed gear at all)and/or Heathkits, to go ahead and buy that Heath scope for $25.00 and just enjoy it if they want to do so.

In other words,use that brain you own and think for yourself and if an old Heath scope appeals to you for whatever reason,don't let anyone discourage you from purchasing  it.

Old scopes are *fun* and many of  us ancient characters over on www.antiqueradios.com  own *both* an old Heath or Eico scope and a more modern,dual trace
triggered model by Tek or B&K or whoever.

You either empathize with the nostagic pleasure of old Heath scope ownership or not,but they were widely used and can still be used for tube gear servicing.

Obviously,thousands of old radio/TV service shops(such as the one I worked in in the '60's )would not have paid good,hard earned money for them,otherwise.

 I won't be debating this any further because debate is pointless if you are convinced that older scopes are worthless.
Thanks,
Malcolm