Oscilloscope Recommendations:Caution

paul hendershott pjhend at AMERITECH.NET
Sat Aug 28 10:57:10 EDT 2004

One word of caution -  I've ordered over a hundred ham and antique radio items on ebay with almost no problems whatsoever, HOWEVER, of the 4 O-scopes I bought, 2 Heath scopes and 2 Tek scopes - ALL had major problems. One Heath and one tek arrived completely DOA. The other Tek only had 1 channel functioning, and the other Heath only worked marginally. I've talked to many hams who had similar experiences w/ this particular piece of test equipment, having purchased them on e-bay or at a hamfest from an 0-Scope dealer.

If you do buy them on ebay, never agree to buy them working but AS-IS. There are a number of other guys to choose from who sell used o-scopes and guarantee  them working & completely tested. I've  seen their prices and they are many times the same price as an ebay auction.

I'm sure many folks have had an OK experience buying their o-scope on ebay(so this is not directed to you) and they should feel fortunate. But 4 bad apples out of 4, and lots of groaning from many others I've met, makes me a little gun shy on "ebay & o-scopes" for a long time to come. In fact the o-scope track record is so bad on ebay, that the fellows who are selling a good solid working unit, go out of their way in their description to let the buyer know that this is an "actual working fully tested scope w/ a guarantee" and not one of those "others".

I would suggest you stick to buying from a fellow ham on the reflector who can actually guarantee a properly working scope, or from an individual or co. that reconditions and stands behind their work. just my $0.02.

73 Paul

Mark Graalman WB8JKR <wb8jkr at JUNO.COM> wrote:
I agree. Actually the Heath IO-4550 is a decent triggered
sweep scope that is rated for 10 Mhz, but still triggers well
at over 20 Mhz. Anyway, these can be found for usually
about $30-$50.00
I have the 35 Mhz IO-4235 here and find it to be an
excellent unit, these can be had for about $100-$150.00
And with the Heath unit there is a slight chance you may
be able to service the unit yourself.

Mark WB8JKR