DX-40 problem

Schichler, Alfred ASchichler at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Wed Dec 22 14:01:24 EST 2004

I recently acquired a DX-40, and also an HG-10 vfo to use with it. The
transmitter puts out power on all bands like it should, but there is a
strange problem with it.
When the function switch is in "standby", there is usually a popping sound
heard in a nearby receiver, particularly if it is in AM mode. The period
between the pops keeps changing slightly, and once in a while, it goes away,
but as soon as I put the switch back into "tune" or "phone", then back into
"standby", the popping comes back.

I replaced the filter caps, but the problem is still there. It does it with
the vfo disconnected, and also with all the tubes except the 5U4 rectifier
removed. I tried a different rectifier tube, and the problem was still
there. I don't know if something is arcing or what. I can't see anything
like that.

I was just wondering if anyone else ever ran into a similar problem.

Thanks,
Al, NE2D