Heathkit box + more

Robert Myers rsmyers at ROGERS.COM
Sun Dec 26 12:31:45 EST 2004

Steve,

Does this contribute to RFI that may be experienced by any neighbours (I mean by NOT using a BALUN)?  Whether the BALUN is (1:1:), or say (3:1) --- and even when the SWR shows as being quite good WITHOUT a BALUN in place?

Suppose my antenna is an inverted "V," and that it is pretty close to 50 Ohms (down from its 72 Ohms) due to its adjusted slope.  Should you still use a (1:1) BALUN?   You are still going from the coax (UN) to the inverted "V" (BAL), so maybe you should put in a BALUN anyway?.   But why?  (Again, with emphasis on how this relates to any RFI --- if at all.)

If you are having slight RFI problems with neighbours, is the addition of a BALUN a possible solution --- I mean does it "in theory," at least, cause a few dB less interference?  What's the physics/electrical engineering behind it?  It certainly wouldn't hurt, would it?  (Would it?)

I hear a lot of anecdotes (and I'm sure they are all quite true for the particular case they stem from), but I wound like to hear some theory referred to, if possible (just to help me perhaps), as to why there's a need for a BALUN, and/or why it works, etc., or when would it really NOT matter at all, perhaps  (if such a conditions even exists) ----again, with some electrical engineering theory from someone who understands what's going on from that standpoint.

Thanks,
--- Rob