SB-401 problem

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Sat Feb 7 17:20:35 EST 2004

I received this email from a Heathkit SB-401 owner. He could use some help.
If you have any suggestions for him, please email him directly.

Brian

I read with interest your story in the Jan. '04 QST.  Many of the things you
said in respect to checking for bad/defective components might have a part
to play in my current problem with a SB 401 I have.  A friend went through
it some time ago and replaced tubes.  Right now, the hi voltage readout on
the 401 is not stable.  When the rig is first turned on, the HV reads 400,
but after just a few minutes, it begins to fluctuate, sometimes dropping
completely to 0.  Also, I have a hum on the audio output of the rig when
keying the mike (An old ElectroVoice 638, like the one on your desk!).

Lynn Traylor, KG4ABA  (lynnbear98 at yahoo.com)