SB-102

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 20 21:22:50 EST 2004

All SB-102 units came from Heath with solid-state
LMOs.  The SB-100 and SB-101 had tube type LMOs.

The 600 ohm output may be for use with a phone patch
or it may just be for headphone use.  But, not
actually looking at the particular unit that is only
speculation.

It has been my experience that the solid-state LMOs
were not as closely quality controlled as the tube
types.  So far, every one that I have seen (over 10)
every one of the solid-state LMOs did not "track" any
where near as well as the tube types.  They usually
are within specifications at the 100 KHz points, but
can vary several KHz off of what they should be
reading in between the 100 KHz points.  The tube type
LMOs usually are pretty close all the way between the
100 KHz points.

I have known a couple of amateurs who took the time to
make their solid-state LMOs in their SB-102 units
"track" within 1 KHz.  However, the work took many
hours of "trial and error" to get the LMO to "track".

Remember that the SB-102 was the last of the primarily
tube type transceivers that were made by Heath and
there were not as many SB-102 units sold as the SB-100
and SB-101.  I don't think that the LMO supplier was
anywhere near as exacting in the calibration as when
the tube-type were being made.

Glen, K9STH

--- "Dwight D. Smith, Sr." <wb8jpj at ADELPHIA.NET>
wrote:

I have a SB-102 that has for extra jacks wired to the
rear panel.  They are labeled "L, H, B & 600 ohms"

Anyone know what they may have been for?  I also have
another SB-102 with a solid state LMO.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites