SB-303 impressions....

Stephen C. Finch stevef88 at MSN.COM
Fri Jul 2 12:36:33 EDT 2004

Having also owned and used the 301 & 303, I echo Glenn's evaluation.  The
303 is "too hot" and much more difficult to service.  Since the 401 takes a
minute to warm up, I turn of my 401/301 combo and get a cup of coffee.  When
I get back, the "twins" are "rarin' to go!"

Steve
AIØW

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]
On Behalf Of Glen Zook
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 9:24 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: SB-303 impressions....

Having owned both the SB-301 and SB-303 the SB-301, in
my opinion, is definitely the better receiver!

The noise generated in the SB-303 is internal and not
due to "better sensitivity".  The SB-303 was
Heathkit's first attempt at making an amateur band
fully solid-state receiver and it shows!

I have serviced a "fair" number of SB-303 and SB-301
receivers over the years and without exception the
minimum detectable signal on the SB-301 is MUCH better
than the SB-303.  The MDS is the minimum signal that
can be detected when running a signal generator,
matched to 50 ohms, and with an accurate attenuator
into the receiver.  Virtually all SB-301 receivers can
detect a signal well under 0.1 microvolts (even on 10
meters).  The SB-303 has to really strain to make even
0.1 microvolts.  In general, the SB-301 receivers are
at least 6 dB more sensitive than the SB-303.

Of course the MDS doesn't apply in the real world with
all the noise that is generated on the bands.  In
virtually all locations the noise level is quite a few
dB above the MDS.  But, as a measure of the actual
performance of a receiver, the MDS gives a very good
comparison.

hives/HEATH.html