RFC-5 blowing in Heath SB-220 "the rest of the story"

joe w0tut at COMCAST.NET
Fri Jul 2 14:16:41 EDT 2004

Just want to say thanks to all of those knowledgable people who
were very helpful in troubleshooting my problem.  One of my
30 year old Eimac 3-500Z tubes (in spite of my babying along at
500 watts output on CW) developed a filament to grid short
thus blowing the RFC-5 RF choke in the grid circuit.I have a
pair of 3-400Z tubes that I removed from an old CAI marine
transmitter and they installed and the SB-220 back in operaation
again. By the way a 1 watt 24 ohm resistor works for a sub for
RFC -5.

73 de Joe w0tut